Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: System Hacked from MySQL Insecurities

From: "Ed Gorski" <Ed.Gorski () ci tampa fl us>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:10:50 -0500

Shawn,

    I think the question here is if his machine could get rooted
THROUGH hacking MYSQL.  Sure if the machine root and MYSQL root
passwords are the same then your machine could be compromised but NOT
through MYSQL.  If the hacker has your MYSQL root password then he can
mess with MYSQL and only MYSQL.

~ed

Edmund Gorski
Application Systems Analyst
Strategic Planning & ITS
City of Tampa
e: Ed.Gorski () tampagov net
p: 813-274-8488

Shawn Wall <sjwall () shaw ca> 1/6/2005 1:20:19 PM >>>
MySql installs with a default root password or no password. If you did
not
change it then it would be trivial to 'hack'.

shawn