Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IIS6 Security and other web servers

From: tom.farrar () it-ps com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:44:52 +0000

--Am I to take the statement that "IIS6 is a very secure platform" to mean

that IIS6 is only secure after it has been hardened from its insecure
default installation and protected by layered security that prevents
direct access to the Internet".--

IIS6 is very secured and locked down from the word go, most problems I see
are people opening them up too much because of the lack of usability that
comes with it being locked down. I think you make the mistake not
recognising the difference between IIS6 and the OS, and the 3rd party
software that entails, IIS6 is secure, and the OS isn't so much.

Other thing, no hosting centre's I know of have IIS OR Apache webserve
boxes outside of an application firewall (SEF, F5) - not if they are
offering a viable solution for customers.

The statement 'Web servers are only as secure as the person who secured it
is knowledgeable' is more correct

Tom Farrar
Data Centre Engineer
tom.farrar () it-ps com