Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Help with SPAM blocking

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:58:50 -0800

  Typically, the RBL is implemented as a DNS server.  When your SMTP
gateway wants to know whether to accept mail from a source, it queries
the RBL server using DNS.  Typically, a known source of spam will be
resolved by the RBL to a loopback address 127.0.0.n, where n>1 and
different values of n may indicate different classes of culprit.  (n=1
is the canonical loopback address, of course, even though the entire
Class A 127.x.x.x block was reserved for loopback use.)
  You do not want to download the RBL to your server, because it's a
dynamic list that is constantly being revised as new sources are
identified or as discovered relays get fixed.  You want to leave it
on the maintainers' server and query it only as necessary.  At worst,
you might cache some results for an hour or two.
  I'm not sure what you get back if the source in question is not currently
in the RBL.  I'd expect that names not resolved by the RBL server would
be forwarded to more generic DNS servers and return the normal non-loopback
address, but it's possible that some RBLs just return a "no such name"
response.

David Gillett