Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: I am searching for an good online infosec learning institution.. any suggestions?

From: Steve Frank <stevefrankrit () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:59:46 -0800 (PST)

Marcus,

I am a graduate student at Carnegie Mellon, in the
Heinz School's Information Security Policy and
Management program. Besides my program, there are a
few others that are focused a bit more on technology
instead of the management and policy side, although
all of these programs are technical in nature. Some
other programs are offered through the "INI"
Information Networking Institute or the CS/ECE
programs, such as the "Information Security Technology
and Management" program.

Most of the course descriptions are listed online at
http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/msispm/curriculum.html or
http://www.mism.cmu.edu/currentStudents/catalog.asp.

I am not sure exactly what sort of long distance
education initiatives are being offered, but I have
seen "long distance" web cast people in my Information
Warfare, Hacking Exposed, and Database Security
classes. It is my impression that there are a lot of
courses being offered via long distance at CMU in
info-sec.

You might also want to check out some other university
programs; George Mason, Univ. of Texas at Austin,
Syracuse, Rochester Institute of Tech., the list goes
on and on.

Hope some of that helps :-)

-- Steven Frank

"Anything is possible, nothing is allowed" - Frank
Zappa

--- chip <chip.gwyn () gmail com> wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:20:52 -0500 (EST), marcus
peddle
<marcus_peddle () yahoo ca> wrote:
I have some time over the winter to further my
training and I am looking to take some online
courses
in infosec.  I am working towards a infosec
certificate at a local college, but the courses
they
are offering are not the ones I need to complete
my
certificate.  I am looking for courses on computer
and
security ethics and legality, as well as a course
on
data encrpytion and theories.

If anyone can recommend a decent institution, that
would be great.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus,

  Check out www.sans.org.  It's the place for
security training stuff.
 I've never taken any course materials from there
but have done some
research from other parts of the site.

--chip

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not
included, etc....