Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: non-default ports (Was: Remote Desktop vs VPN on Windows 2003)

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:03:38 +0200 (IST)

The best thing you should do is to install secure software and do not
use default ports unless absolutely necessary (e.g., domain, smtp,
...) Of course, non-default port would not protect you from an
adversary who wants to attack your network, but it helps to distinct
such adversaries from viruses/worms. This way it protects you
(log-reader) from a "DoS attack on a log-reader". For example, then I
use default ssh port I have on average a login attempt (automated
user/password bruteforcing) each second, now I have failed password
only from legitimate users (who failed to setup a ssh client
propertly). Note that since we do not use password authentication
there is no hope somebody can find a password, still my logs are
significantly reduced since I start to use a non-default port.