Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Remote Desktop vs VPN on Windows 2003

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:00:35 -0500

I don't think RC4, by itself is weak...it's specific implementations of
RC4 (like in WEP).

Yes, RDP did have an RC4 vulnerability in 2002, but it was patched.  SSH
had an RC4 vulnerability just a few months before RDP did (in 2001).
Both are patched now.

SSH seems to get hacked at least once a year.

SSL gets hacked at least once a year.

VNC frequently gets hacked and has worms galore looking for its ports.

RDP is free (for W2K and above), remote client can be nearly anything
(especiallly with RDP ActiveX control), its encrypted, fast, has kick
butt Edit-Copy, Edit-Paste features, remote printing (not so hot), drive
mapping, etc.

RDP is arguably running on more Windows enterprise servers than any
alternative but SSH (and maybe PC Anywhere), and it has not had a public
exploit demonstrated since 2002.  I'd say it is a strong candidate for
consideration.

Roger

***
*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Computer Security
Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (NT/2000/2003/MVP), CNE (3/4), CEH, CHFI
*email: roger () banneretcs com
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by
O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode
*Author of Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=281
****