Security Basics mailing list archives

(WAS: Re: Fwd: SF new column announcement: Microsoft Anti-Spyware?)

From: Sebastian <sebastian () helsinki fi eu org>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:38:54 +0200

Just another 2 cents of whichever currency:
3. Educating users about what is good and what is not (basically meaning not clicking okay to everything) 5. Not giving users any rights they don't need. This means basic grouping (not by username but by function) and given access only when necessary. 6. Catering for the known holes (If wild VB controls, browser extensions, ActiveX etc. aren't really needed, disable)

Eves n such,

-Sebastian

Caeser Augustus wrote:

Here's my 2 cents:
Nothing really is unexploitable if you try hard enough.
If by some real chance an average user in the world was using Linux,
you can be sure that people who make spyware would have made it for
that platform as well. It's just isn't plain business sense to do that
as of now.

And really, I heard so much hohum about MS's security record. OK I
understand that MS maybe not into security that much till very
recently. But when they did (SP2) this is what I see happened:
1) The average user : feels good about security but is confronted by a
learning curve. Whatever it is, but I'm sure that an information bar
is easier to configure than a hosts file.
2) The IT guys shout: "Don't install it".
  - It breaks stuff.
  - It's got security issues( My companies IT policy )
  - Not stable.
I'd say Hello. Wake up. Just because you're incompetent enough not to
know about it, you term something bad. I mean a sheer amount of IT
staff that I've knows is just point and click types. Boot off the CD
Press enter thrice, click next next next, when you get password box,
type admin or password and lo behold, you have Windows 2003 running.
I'm not saying all are like that. There are serious professionals(btw,
i'm not) who DO this job. Bust most aren't.
3) The crackers: It's got holes: it's exploitable. I think: off
course. Everything is. Including the Linux Kernel. That's what makes
this field fun.

I'm sure, given enough motivation (read money), you can have as many
spyware as you want for Linux/Unix/Freebsd whatever. It's just that
not most of  supridentdents/Operations
Managers/Nurses/Clerks/Executives/Sales Executives/Accountants who
sits at his office/SOHO desk reading mail, does it on Konquror (even
though it's free). So, no spyware.

And oh, all this may be localised to India only, I dunno. But I have
worked for an International Support Center, catering to THE average
and the Admin level american/uk computer user. And that was the
impression I got.