Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Threat prevention and pro-active open source monitoring

From: John Doe <security.department () tele2 ch>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:39:27 +0100

Am Freitag, 4. Februar 2005 19.59 schrieb Chris Naegelin:
Can anyone point me in the right direction for any software products or
vendors that might do this sort of thing:

We want an intelligent agent or a group of agents to search and archive
various parts of the web / chat rooms / usenet groups based on specific
content which could be threatening to an organization. To be more precise:
A discussion initiates on a newsgroup about a possible vulnerability in
our software product or website. The agent happens to monitor this
newsgroup and detects the conversation as a potential threat and thus
creates a report.

I'd say that an _intelligent_ agent would not identify such a discussion as a
threat to your organisation but tell you to take the discussion as a chance
to improve your product, since it may be a threat to your customers using
your (possibly insecure) product.

I've seen this sort of thing being called "open source monitoring" and may
even fall under "brand protection"

Is it possible that you are more interested in suppressing discussions about
security holes in your software than make it more secure?

[...]

Just my nooby opinion.