Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: app to create large files so I can check traffic at the firewall

From: Jon Hart <warchild () spoofed org>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:24:07 -0500

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:08:19AM +0100, Joachim Schipper wrote:
Dear Juan,

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you just trying to find a
junk-creating program?

If you're on Linux or anything vaguely similar

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=65536 | netcat some.ip.add.ress port

It really depends what you want to test here, and what type of
firewalling is being done.

Without knowing more, I'd suggest using a utility that is specifically
meant to "speed test" TCP and see what your setup can handle.  There is
a program called ttcp (for "test tcp") that will help you with this.  On
debian, its called nttcp and from the looks of it the code has been
ported to Windows too.

-jon