Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Disaster Recovery Tool

From: Andreas Putzo <andreas () inferno nadir org>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:01:45 +0100

Hi,

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 17:32, RichardR wrote:

I am actually trying to find out a disaster recovery tool under GPL
for Linux, that could archive or snapshot my updated and armored
configuration distro in a machine. so then I could use this archive
pattern to be restored on boot (standalone) to other machines exactly
with the same hardware configs.

You may take a look at FAI (Fully Automatic Installation)[1].
With fai, you configure your updated, armored, well working machine
before the installation. In case of a disaster, you simply reinstall
without any interaction. Fai is even capable, to leave a partition
untouched.
Of course, variable data needs to be backed up as usual, but you can
easily integrate a class RESTORE into fai, which will restore your data
right back to the correct place.
Crashed machines will be back at work within 20 minutes :)

regards,

Andreas

[1] http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/