Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password Auto-Repository

From: "Reece, Terry" <terry.reece () nmci-isf com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:08:34 -0500

While this technology, with some refinement, could be very beneficial and make many processes in an environment easier,
I don't know that I'd want it on my network. Regardless of what kind of security this thing may or may not have, the
old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" seems to make sense here. I have seen the use of Password Safe
(http://www.schneier.com/passsafe.html) in a similar capacity, and it worked very well. It's not an enterprise product
by any means, but for someone who has a lot of passwords to remember, it's very worthwhile. Passwords are stored with
Blowfish encryption, and it only takes a single password to unlock. It still doesn't cover the management of passwords,
but it may provide a solution in the interim until you find something else.

Terry