Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: packet sniffing help needed.

From: dallas jordan <dallas.jordan () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 17:58:25 -0500

In order to sniff traffic between the two victims, you'd have to have
the sniffer on the same physical network.  But if the network is
switched, you'd need to be on the same physical segment.  However,
there are some sniffers that allow sniffing on a switched network
using ARP spoofing and such.  If you are trying to sniff between two
victims over the internet, I dont believe that would be very feasible
unless you could get the sniffer on some backbone line between the two
victims.  Over the internet, there's just too many paths the traffic
can take between the two to reliably try sniffing.  Does that make any
sense?