Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Strange found in apache error.log

From: arron () nynetworksecurity com
Date: 5 Dec 2005 18:49:40 -0000

Is it possable that there is a XSS flaw in a web app on that server?  If so, I've been able to, in the past, use XSS to
pass SSI (some tweakin required [char esc seqs similar 2 recent sprintf perl vulns]) into dynamic processes.  This
could, for example, allow the inclusion of /etc/passwd or the shadow file for cracking and then ssh'n.  Since I wasn't
the admin of the machine I did it on (I had permission people) I'm not sure the resulting log entries.  Although
description struck a cord with me.  One way or another, it sounds web app specific to me.

Godspeed,

Arron