Security Basics mailing list archives

IM Logic withholds details of Santa Claus IM worm, unless youre a customer

From: Mo3b3tta () hotmail com
Date: 21 Dec 2005 21:15:50 -0000

On Dec. 19th IM Logic released an advisory about a worm spreading through all major IM clients.  See advisory for
details, or lack thereof. http://www.imlogic.com/im_threat_center/index.asp

If you are not an IM Logic customer you may be hard pressed to find any details of what this threat would look like in
your environment.  IM Logic did not publicly release any actionable information as to how a non IM Logic customer could
detect if this worm was already in their network.  But according to Tim Johnson, the Director of IM Logic’s threat
center, he doesn’t see what all the fuss is about.  All you have to do is buy the company’s product and you will be
protected.  He did mention that they have a process they follow.  They first tell AOL, MSN or whoever is affected in an
effort to minimize the current activity.  Then they tell the antivirus vendors about what they know.  Hopefully they
can detect and stop any current infections, if not…dang, your screwed. Then IM Logic customers get the heads up.  Then
you as a non-customer have the opportunity to wait for a signature to come out by your antivirus vendor so that you can
tell if a hacker has a rootkit loaded in you
 r environment.  Oh, darn it, I forgot, according to the official advisory, antivirus vendors can’t detect Santa Claus;
apparently Santa can put your antivirus to sleep.  I always thought Santa knew if you were asleep, not put you to
sleep, but I digress.

So what is the world and security community supposed to do?  Well according to IM Logic, pay them the money and they
will take care of it for you.  Hmm, I wonder where else we find this type of behavior.  Hold on guys, Toni the Bull is
at my back door, brb, need 2 make my “insurance payment” AFK….

Back, sorry it took so long.  My left knee is a little sore; I was short on my “insurance payment” this month.  Anyway,
haven’t we been down this road before?  Do you remember the big antivirus company that tried this stunt and then felt
the backlash from the security community?  Security companies should follow the same procedures that ethical and
responsible researchers follow when disclosing vulns.  Most companies do, those that don’t… should we reward them by
purchase orders?  Not this guy.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus