Security Basics mailing list archives

SSH Authentication question

From: 299bowler () gmail com
Date: 11 Dec 2005 19:05:38 -0000

OK Here's my dilemma I have 2 servers each of them running
Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition
F-Secure Release 5.3 build 25
F-Secure Server Release 5.3 build 15

I'm looking to automate the transfer of files using batch SFTP
I've created the private and public keys and authorization file, yet I fail to connect with the error message
'Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: Server rejected the signature.'

I'm a newbie with SSH so here's what I find confusing
I receive the error 'SshConfig: Unable to open C:/Documents and Settings/ftpuser/Application Data/F-S
ecure SSH/ssh2_config'.
This is true, the file ssh2_config does not exist anywhere on the system.
Where is it? Should I create it? What should it look like?

Also when I run the FTP Client GUI it shows the Authorization file as having permissions of 600. Searching the web most
people suggest permissions of 644. I've gone into Windows security and given 'read permissions' to Everyone, yet I saw
no change in the permissions from the FTP GUI. I also tried the same thing with user 'Network_Service'. How do I get
Windows to emulate 644 unix permissions, or does it even matter?

That's all I can think of. The error messages are below. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

C:\ssh2test>D:\MW\F-Secure\Ssh\sftp2 -vB up.txt
SshFileCopy: Making local connection.
SshFileXferClient: ext_name `newline () vandyke com', data:
00000000: 0d0a                                     ..
SshFileCopy: Connection to local, ready to serve requests.
Sftp2: Connection ready.
SshReadLine: Initializing ReadLine...
sftp> open ftpuser@hostip

Sftp2: Command descriptor 0x200e (0xe)
Opening connection to ftpuser@hostip
SshFileCopy: Connecting to remote host. (host = ftpuser@hostip, user = N
ULL, port = NULL)
Sftp2: Couldn't find ssh2 on path specified (ssh2.exe). Trying default PATH...
SshConfig: Unable to open C:/Documents and Settings/ftpuser/Application Data/F-S
ecure SSH/ssh2_config
SshReadLine: Initializing ReadLine...
Ssh2Transport: My version: SSH-1.99-3.2.3 F-Secure SSH Windows Client
client supports 3 auth methods: 'keyboard-interactive,publickey,password'
Ssh2Common: local ip = hostip, local port = 4706
Ssh2Common: remote ip = hostip, remote port = 22
SshConnection: Wrapping...
Remote version: SSH-2.0-3.2.3 F-Secure SSH Windows NT Server
Major: 3 Minor: 2 Revision: 3
Ssh2Transport: lang s to c: `', lang c to s: `'
Ssh2Transport: c_to_s: cipher 3des-cbc, mac hmac-sha1, compression none
Ssh2Transport: s_to_c: cipher 3des-cbc, mac hmac-sha1, compression none
Remote host key found from database.
Ssh2Common: Received SSH_CROSS_STARTUP packet from connection protocol.
Ssh2Common: Received SSH_CROSS_ALGORITHMS packet from connection protocol.
server offers auth methods 'publickey,password'.
Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: Starting pubkey auth...
Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: Agent is not running.
Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: Got 0 keys from the agent.
SshUnixUserFiles: Found 2 keys from C:\Documents and Settings\ftpuser\Applicatio
n Data\F-Secure SSH\userkeys
SshUnixUserFiles: Found 0 certificates from C:\Documents and Settings\ftpuser\Ap
plication Data\F-Secure SSH\UserCertificates
SshUnixUserFiles: Found 2 keys from C:\Documents and Settings\ftpuser\Applicatio
n Data\F-Secure SSH\userkeys
SshUnixUserFiles: Found 0 certificates from C:\Documents and Settings\ftpuser\Ap
plication Data\F-Secure SSH\UserCertificates
Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: adding keyfile "C:\Documents and Settings\ftpuser\Applicat
ion Data\F-Secure SSH\userkeys\ftw2ftw" to candidates
Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: adding keyfile "C:\Documents and Settings\ftpuser\Applicat
ion Data\F-Secure SSH\userkeys\ftw2tpa" to candidates
Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: Trying 2 key candidates.
Constructing and sending signature in publickey authentication.
Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: reading private key C:\Documents and Settings\ftpuser\Appl
ication Data\F-Secure SSH\userkeys\ftw2ftw
server offers auth methods 'publickey,password'.
Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: Server rejected the signature.
server offers auth methods 'publickey,password'.
Ssh2AuthPubKeyClient: All keys declined by server, disabling method.
Ssh2AuthClient: Method 'publickey' disabled.
server offers auth methods 'publickey,password'.
Ssh2AuthPasswdClient: In Batchmode, so we're not asking the user for password.
Ssh2AuthClient: Method 'password' disabled.
server offers auth methods 'publickey,password'.
Ssh2Common: DISCONNECT received: No further authentication methods available.
Authentication failed
Disconnected; no more authentication methods available (No further authenticatio
n methods available.).
Ssh2Common: DISCONNECT received: Connection closed.
Authentication failed
Disconnected; connection lost (Connection closed.).
SshReadLine: Uninitializing ReadLine...
Ssh2Common: Destroying SshCommon object.
SshConnection: Destroying SshConn object.
Ssh2Client: Destroying client completed.