Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Email Encryption

From: NewYork User <newyorkuser () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:41:54 -0400

Chris,

Did you look at MIT's PGP Freeware? They have it for windows and
linux. I haven't used this on Linux but Windows version works very
well. Take a look

http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html

On 7/27/05, Dennis Kibbe <lists () sahuaro f2s com> wrote:
On 25 Jul 2005 at 14:14, Chris Griffin wrote:

Hello list,
Im trying to gather information on the best route to go with email
encryption.
I would just jump at PGP, but there are also Linux machines to be involved.
I was testing out WinPT/GPG, and that works well, but there seem to be
periodic glitches.
Since many of the people that will be involved in sending/recieving
encrypted company email are not technical, and some offsite, Id like
something that involved the least support
possible.

Does anyone have any recomendations or sugestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

Your Linux boxes can use GNU Privacy Guard (www.gnupg.org) which
is a free (as in free beer or as in free speech) implamentation of PGP.

Most Linux mail clients (Evolution, T'Bird, Sylpheed, mutt, pine) support
it.  Enigmail for Thunderbird works especially well.
Also, there are some programs that intercept all
incoming/outgoing mail and decrypt and encrypt as needed
seamlessly -- no user intervention needed at all.
You might look at Hushmail as well.
Dennis Kibbe
Phoenix Linux Users Group