Security Basics mailing list archives

DHCP Logging Locations

From: "Joel A. Folkerts" <jfolkert () hiwaay net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:12:06 +0200

Background: Windows 2003 server environment, dynamic IP addressing (DHCP w/
logging disabled), 2003 DCs (full logging enabled), XP and W2K workstations
(full logging enabled), every machine is publicly accessible (not NATed).

Problem: I have old (nearly 1 month) information suggesting these several
workstations have been compromised. I only have the IP information for the
workstations at the time of the hack. Several of the workstations have
renewed their lease and others are mobile systems. With a network of
thousands of machines, is there a simple way to correlate the existing IP
address to the hostname? I'm thinking the DCs may contain the information if
the workstation had to authenticate to the DC. Are there any other areas I
can check? Thanks.

-Joel

---
"Illegitimis non carborundum."
Latin translation: "Don't let the bastards grind you down."