Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux hardening

From: "AragonX" <aragonx () dcsnow com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:45:53 -0400 (EDT)

<quote who="cabeca">

Ok, nice countermeasures, but you are missing one important thing,
did you know how the intruder owned your machine first time? Its a
good start point, checkout the servers that you are using, maybe a
vulnerable version of myPhpmyadmin or whatever...
What´s the point of creating the taller and strongest wall and
leave a door open?

I believe it was an outdated version of squirrelmail and/or myphpadmin.

I did not use any of the security methods I mentioned earlier on this
machine.  I believe that is the major security risk I have is all of the
web apps that I run.  I'm not sure what is the best way to lock them all
down.  I've tried to standardize on PhP so I don't have multiple languages
to worry about but I still have a few Perl scripts that I can't do without
(awstats and hotsanic).