Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Web mail intercepted! How?

From: Rodrigo Blanco <rodrigo.blanco.r () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 02:54:34 -0600

It is not so hard to obtain certain mail service's passwords,
depending on the provider. Even the password recovery questions can
sometimes be very obvious... so I would point at social engineering
first.

If you are sure this is not the problem, I agree that hub sniffing or
ARP spoofing (if you have a switched network) could be the problem.
With ettercap for instance, it is fairly easy for someone to play an
unnoticed man in the middle attack to eavesdrop the HTTP traffic of
another computer. From there on, obtaining the password is really not
hard. I think ettercap even has a mode in which it can detect other
computers running it, so this could help you detect such a problem (if
it is ettercp that is being used).

Regards,
Rodrigo.

On 4 Aug 2005 03:56:31 -0000, pagoda33 () sbcglobal net