Security Basics mailing list archives

Apache Reverse Proxy with authentication

From: Gene Cronk <gcronk () trsg net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:18:22 -0400

We currently have an Apache 1.3.xx server that isn't doing much, and an IIS 5 box we use for development work. I would like to move the IIS machine behind the Apache machine using mod_proxy, and use http_auth to verify they have access to the dev box (and what directory they have access to). Once authenticated, they are reverse proxied to their development site on the IIS box, where a virtual host can reply to the request.

For example:

Client logs into Apache via mod_auth_whatever (or a PHP script).
Client is authenticated.
IP address of internal virtual host is sent to mod_proxy.
Apache forwards requests for specific client to development web server (based on development server IP), based on auth info.

Is there any straightforward way to do this?

--
Gene Cronk ISSAP CISSP IAM
Systems Administrator -- The Robin Shepherd Group