Security Basics mailing list archives

Windows Service Accounts and Password Expiration

From: Jack Mogren <mogren () mayo edu>
Date: 28 Apr 2005 15:46:21 -0000

  Our security policies and standards have always required passwords to expire, requiring account owners to change the
passwords on a specific periodic basis.  We also have standards for when generic or trusted accounts are acceptable.
For instance, we deem the use of generic accounts acceptable in purely machine - to - machine batch processes.  Still
we require certain criteria, including password expiration.
  In the Windows server world there are generic accounts called "Service" accounts.  "A rose by any other name ......."
 Until recently, so-called "service" accounts have slipped by this requirement.  But system admin folks have become
more security aware (thank you very much) and some are starting to ask the question.  Should Windows "service" accounts
be required to have password expiration?  I'm getting good arguments from both sides of the issue.  Application
availability VS adherance to standards, industry best practices, etc.  Keep in mind that we are in a patient care
environment.  Any thoughts from the list?

- Jack