Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VNC Security

From: "Conlan Adams" <conlan () midwesteyebanks org>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:03:53 -0400

A. the user doesn't have putty installed. Someone (meaning me) has to
talk >them thru it. ("now type -L 5900:localhost:5900, oh wait, not the
number >one, but the letter L ah heck...")

B. much of the time, the user can't spell "port forwarding", much less
do >it. Hence in many situations they are connected to internet directly
and we >just tell them to have windows firewall allow VNC server port
access.

C. If the user can get this setup without too much assistance, they can
setup their own SSH daemon and let me come in under RDO or VNC or
whatever. >So the conversation is moot.

You missed the point, my apologies for not being clearer...

In all of these scenarios, you do the setup before hand.  All of these
scenarios are easily installed, and configured as a tech, and are as
simple as 1-3 clicks for a user, no config, because everything (ssh
keys, vpn preshared keys, etc) are all saved and stored in advance.

A moment of setup in advance saves you hours of support later.

Conlan Adams