Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VMWare and Security

From: "P.B. Wagenaar" <PB.Wagenaar () chello nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:12:04 +0200

As far as I know, ESX uses it's own OS and does not run on top of Windows
i.e. (GSX is the version that runs on a host layer).

So the ESX version uses its own virtualization layer. This could be
considerd to be an Operating System right? And there are no security issues
with this? What if someone starts writing an exploit for the ESX
virtualization layer? Like a malformed TCP packet? The virtual machine (ie.
Windows server 2003) might have no problems with the malformed packet, but
it passes through the virtualization layer first. I am not saying that there
is something wrong with this approach or that is less secure or whatever. I
am just asking if all operating systems have had security related bugs, what
are the chances the ESX has to go through this cycle also? And how would a
security issue in the virtualization layer affect the virtual machines
running on it?

Once again, vmware is a great product in my eyes, and I can not see anything
that is wrong with it being not begin secure or something. But if you can
consider ESX to be an OS (like linux and windows), and most OS have had
security issues at one time or another, how should an organization treat a
new OS like ESX?

Philip Wagenaar