Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: toolkits

From: Mark Owen <mr.markowen () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:26:04 -0400

On 4/21/05, Brent Clark <bclark () eccotours dyndns org> wrote:
Hi all

On my linux boxes I use a chkrootkit to perform a host of
vulnerabilility checks.
It basically does a checksum etc on some file etc to make sure that they
have not been tampered with.

So my question is, does anyone know of:

A) any other tools besides chkrootkit for Linux.

Linux  I'm not so sure about.

B) would anyone know of such toolkits for Windows.

I highly recommend Microsoft's free security baseline analyzer.
Can scan local and remote machiens (given you have admin rights)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

Any advice, tips etc, would be most appreciated.

For both OSes I also recommend scanning them with Nessus to check for
exploitable services.

--
Mark Owen