Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: International Computer/Security Policies

From: Yoanne LE MERCIER <ylemercier.security () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:20:35 +0200

Hi Alexander.

There are many general sources you could get information from (sample):
- National Law Institutions (Courts, Specialized lawyers, eventually
official law portal if there's any)
- Airports and main flight companies (check carefully if one's
affirmation is really confirmed by the other ... yeah, you know,
suprises ... )
- dealing with IT security, contact local CERT if there's any (I've
always been well informed, a good start to me).

Talking about the aforementionned countries, I won't help you with.
But i'd check these points specially:
- Use of encryption (length of keys, per example...)
- Use of mail (use PGP and alike)
- Use of any security device (RSA kind of cards per example)
- Internet Cafés policies (can you just come and plug in your laptop ?
Choose  a couple of them in the cities you've planned to travel to,
and ask them directly. Therefore you can see what are the
general/accepted policy and restrictions)

And I finally would advice you to ask any of your contacts to _write_
down informations (faxes, letters ...). You'll see, if there are quite
sure of what they say, that they won't bother you... If not, then it's
up to you to decide what to do ;)
And by the way, introduce your trips as professional once, AND
personal, another time...

Hope it helps.

YLM