Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VMWare interface security

From: Nathaniel Hall <halln () otc edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:04:21 -0500

I suppose that is true. VMWare does allow you to configure multiple networks, but I have never done it. I can see that being a good way to test firewall rulesets and such. Give it a try. If you break anything, it is pretty easy to fix.

Nathaniel Hall, GSEC
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician
Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

halln () otc edu
417-447-7535
GPG Public Key ID: 0xAC187312

Joe Gaczewski wrote:
Wouldn't it depend on how the virtual machines are set?

If one's acting as a gateway to the other, then it would sniff the traffic because it all goes through one pipe.

But if the host machine has an address of x.x.x.100, VM1 has x.x.x.101 and VM2 has x.x.x.103, then the two PCs not running the sniffer would just bypass that connection. Correct?

We use VMWare at the office and it has great features. I highly recommend it. If you're unsure about the investment, download an evaluation edition. I recommend a lot of RAM, though. 1gb or more. Each virtual machine can be allocated a portion of the host machine's RAM. 2 vm's at once will eat a good chuck of that RAM and make your host system crawl.

joe