Security Basics mailing list archives

linux bugs (survival stories?)

From: Bipin Gautam <visitbipin () hotmail com>
Date: 12 Apr 2005 06:20:50 -0000

hi list,
we have had a series of linux(kernel) bugs reported lately... they were own unique in nature. (o; ( As i haven't gone
through each and every to verify its types) On the other hand we have had products like  stack guard, lib safe,
grsecurity.net, se-linux bla..bla...blah! But, still i don't hear any success stories i mean, an analytical report
which says....... using *** patch from the *** product to my default kernel source from kernel.org made my machine
immune to  * (a particular bug)  targeted to my verson of kernel. We all know the product isn't a myth and with a
properly hardened OS it could save your day....

BUT i was woundering, to what extent adding these extra security measures are effective against the real attacks & bugs
discovered in the kernel. i hope you got my point. (Though, se-linux got features..... lets me not re-describe it all
rite now)

regards,
Bipin Gautam
http://bipin.sosvulnerable.net/

Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE
Organizations worldwide are in need of highly qualified information security
professionals.  Norwich University is fulfilling this demand with its MS in
Information Security offered online.  Recognized by the NSA as an
academically excellent program, NU offers you the opportunity to earn your
degree without disrupting your home or work life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus_en