Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MSSP Questions (Backend Stuff)

From: Carole Wozny <valeda22 () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:26:13 -0400 (EDT)

Joshua,

I have worked with several MSSP's and it depends
completely on which company you choose as they all
offer different services. You will have to investigate
each one and decide which solution is right for you.
Most utilize a round-robin technique; some use
SQL/Oracle and others have proprietary software.
Storage size and retention rate depend on how much you
are willing to pay.

E-week magazine just did an excellent comparison of
several MSSP's last month (eweek.com).

Key Considerations for Outsourcing Security:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdewk/is_200404/ai_ziff120873

I would recommend that if you can't afford one of the
larger MSSP's that you go with Postini (I am not
affiliated with them). They recently received
Information Security magazine's top choice for 2004.

One word of advice; stay as far away from FrontBridge
technologies as you can. I wouldn't let them pay ME to
handle my email; they are by far the sorriest excuse
for an MSSP I have ever worked with. I don't think I
ran into one person at FrontBridge who had the
slightest background in security; it was frightening
to say the least.

Hope this helps!

--- Joshua Berry <jberry () PENSON COM> wrote:
Has anyone on this list ever worked for an MSSP?  Do
MSSP's monitoring
events for large companies utilize proprietary
database systems, or are
they using PostgreSQL/MySQL/MS SQL/Oracle?

Are the database systems clustered with something
like Beowulf (Parallel
Processing) or just more like a round-robin
technique, with one master
database replicating to other slaves?

What is the typical storage size allocated to each
customer?
What is the typical retention rate for customer
data?

Josh Berry | CISSP GCIA
Information Security
214-765-1296

Earn your MS in Information Security ONLINE
Organizations worldwide are in need of highly qualified information security
professionals.  Norwich University is fulfilling this demand with its MS in
Information Security offered online.  Recognized by the NSA as an
academically excellent program, NU offers you the opportunity to earn your
degree without disrupting your home or work life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus_en