Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Final Words on "Educating RDNS violators" - Debunking the Myth's

From: "LordInfidel" <LordInfidel () directionweb com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:36:29 -0400

I knew full and well that I was not going to change yours, or other staunch defenders of RDNS, minds.  That was never
my intent, I was merely presenting the facts to the list as they appear in the RFC's.  If you or others wish to violate
the RFC, then that is your choice.

Think about this though, if you are able to relay mail thru your ISP's SMTP server, which most ISPs allow you to do,
then why run your own outbound SMTP server, that does not make sense.

The answer is, while most ISPs will allow their customers to relay mail thru their servers, they will only allow mail
from their (the isps) domain name space.

Meaning, if you are hosting your own domain name or want to send from a domain other then your ISP's, you can't.
Assuming I was an AOL customer, I can't send mail as directionweb.com thru AOl's smtp server.

When you say, *properly configured*, that was one of the Myth's I was dispelling (myth is a more polite term then
'blatant mis-information').  RDNS is not a requirement for SMTP transmissions, which is why I came down on you and
other supporters of RDNS.

The RFC's are there for a reason, people smarter then you and I have a deep understanding of the way the net is
supposed to work, and we should obey those guidelines that they have set forth.  If you don't like the way the RFC is
written though, make a request to change it (http://www.ietf.org/join.html), but don't disobey it and make claims that
what you are saying is correct.

There are only 2 requirements for a SMTP server to identify itself, 1) a FQDN that maps to a valid IP or 2) a valid IP.

To give you an example, an smtp server (called homey) located in a pvt domain called bunk.local, can not advertise it's
FQDN as homey.bunk.local to remote smtp servers.  This is because the root domain in this case, .local, is not a valid
domain and can not be routed on the net.  homey has 2 options to send out mail, change it's advertised name in the HELO
response it gives to other SMTP servers, or send a IP in place of a FQDN.

On the note of AV, a better practice for virus protection, is to use AV at the gateway and to employ extension blocking
which sends any blocked extensions into a quarantined area.  This still allows the flow of legitimate e-mail, while
removing the end users direct access to harmful files.  if a file that was blocked is legit, it can still be retrieved
out of quarantine instead of permanently lost.

[ I hate to bring this up, but as a matter of semantics, there is no small r in RDNS; I had hoped that by correcting it
in my posts that everyone else would catch on.  In fact RDNS is not even technically correct, since in RFC 2317 which
governs it- reverse is written out in the proper, "Reverse", and pre-pended to the proper "DNS" to form "Reverse DNS",
while "rdns" is never mentioned.

Reverse DNS, RDNS or rdns are found in other RFC's referencing it (Reverse DNS), but never rDNS (at least none that I
have come across so there is still a chance I am wrong, and I have read allot of the rfc's.).  But when netwk engineers
typically correspond to their peers, it is usually RDNS, using the relation of the capital R in Reverse found in rfc
2317 as a guideline.  Since it is safe to assume that if the architects did not intended Reverse to be proper, the same
as DNS, then they would of have written it as 'reverse DNS'.]

LordInfidel