Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Question about "guaranteed delivery"

From: "Jose Enrique Diaz Jolly" <enrique.diaz () cbbanorte com mx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:48:41 -0500

Well, I have a network similar to yours and my mail schema is more or less as follows.

Incomming mail
I have two dedicated sendmail boxes acting as MX, they receive all the incomming mail either if it is addressed to our
global domain or to a specific server. These two boxes (Linux) live in the DMZ, they have separated names for MX
functions. Any other machine in this network zone has MX records pointing to these MX servers. Once these  boxes
receive any incomming e-mail they scan our active directory domain controllers via LDAP to verify if the mail is
addressed to a valid account. If it is not, then it is dropped or returned without having gone further in the network.
If the destination address is valid, then the mail is queued to a spam blocking box (Trend) which delivers mail to
exchange.

Outcomming mail
Once a user sends a mail it goes to exchange who uses a smarthost, which is really two boxes capable to route mail to
the internet.

Maybe this approach may help you to clear out

--

 'Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example'

José Enrique Díaz Jolly         Teléfono: +52 (55) 5169-9300 x1222
Casa de Bolsa Banorte                Fax: +52 (55) 5169-9470
Grupo Financiero Banorte             Red: 8555-1222
Periférico Sur 4355              Fax Red: 8555-1470
Jardines en la Montaña
México, D. F., 14210              e-mail: enrique.diaz () cbbanorte com mx