Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: learning ethical hacking

From: "Samir Kelekar" <samir () teknotrends com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:24:36 +0530

This may not be the right road map, but it could give some pointers.

I didnt exactly start as a beginner with a 15+ years of experience in the IT
industry.
But, frankly, after spending some time on security/hacking, I am still to
get there in toto.
I started off on security with Ed Skoudis's book called "Counter Hack",
Prentice Hall
PTR (available on Amazon.com)
 I thought that is a superb book. Then, I looked at Alephone's paper on
Phrack magazine issue 49 (I think) -- smashing the stack for fun and profit.
That just
hooked me on to this field. But my assembly skills had to be honed; so I
studied a
book on x86 assembly. Then, I went to securiteam.com site and tried to
compile and
run some exploits. I have a nice network here with all kinds of OSes loaded
so that
I can try to hack into one machine from another, deploy sniffers etc etc.

I am still there struggling with them, but I now have a much better and
fundamental
understanding of what goes in there. Of course, with all my other full-time
activities, I
dont have that much time to devote to this.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Samir Kelekar
Teknotrends Software