Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nc help needed.

From: "Marcos E. Rodriguez" <mrodrigu () agape-tech com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:04:51 -0400

Hi :o)

The way you're talking about using netcat seems like you want to invoke a
command prompt from the target system.  Unfortunately, the -s switch is the
"source".  If that machine is the target, then naturally you're IP address
would be the source.

Traditionally, you'd want to enumerate all services on the target Windows
system by establishing the null session first.  I've used netcat against
Windows systems after I've rooted the box by using the "at" command to
launch my transferred nc.exe file at my specified time.

Netcat can banner grab and even port scan against the system, but cannot by
itself compromise the target as far I know.  The target needs to have a
netcat listener in order for netcat to connect it.  That usually means you
have to root the box, upload netcat, and then "at" it to start up so it can
launch a shell to you.

If you want to attempt to connect to the netbios port 139 using netcat,
you'd need to type:

nc "targetip" 139

This would do nothing for you.  You need netcat on the target machine in
order for it to push you its command prompt.

Cheers,

Marcos