Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Laptop Encryption & Hibernation

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:38:24 -0700

The protection would (or should) be NTFS (as I mentioned). This would
require a password to access the system or even the hardrive by itself put
into another machine (now we wont even go into the fact that it would
blue-screen to Hades unless it was totally compatible with the original
computer).

Are you speaking about EFS (Encrypted File System)? In that case, I
would agree that it would certainly put a damper on a thiefs day.
However, simply using NTFS would not protect the data if the hard
drive was stolen.

As for the BSOD, you wouldn't be booting this the hard drive you put
into another system. You would be accessing it from another OS
(Windows, Linux, etc) that was preinstalled on the current machine. It
wouldn't blue screen because of that - it would treat it like a
storage drive.

Many admins also seem to think that because they password an account,
it's safe. This isn't always the case. First off, you'll have to
protect that account - which then makes all files below it only
accessable to that person. (Commonly done by teenagers on the family
computer to hide their porn.) Beyond that, it doesn't provide much
protection.

Password crackers (as were discussed on here a few times recently) can
get through such "security" in a matter of time. If you steal a hard
drive for the information, then you'll most likely be persistent
enough to wait the few months it may take to crack the password. With
EFS however, there's more to it then just a MD5/LM hash to get past.

This is where I was saying (by inference) the two together were
an excellent beginning of a security policy (note my references to
documentation).

Unless you were talking about EFS (not just NTFS), it would only be a
beginning. Once again, an attacker who is persistant and only has a
password to get past, plus all the time they need, will break that
password.

Btw I tend to agree with you on hibernation (and security and ease of use)
though it is our (some of us) jobs to find a medium we (2nd being the user)
can live with.
I tend to believe stand-by will suffice. On early laptops, far back as Win
95, Toshiba, in particular, had a utility which created these hibernation
files. They would often become corrupt -- which was annoying to the user.

That's very true. Even though security and ease of use are on opposite
sides of the see-saw, that's no reason to completely give up one or
the other. It's about compromise and deciding what works the best for
the situation. In this case, it sounds like the encryption is a
priority and a necessity. Therefore giving up the hibernation is about
the only choice. However, in a differnet situation, maybe giving up
the encryption would be a better solution. Depends on the POV and
situation of all those involved, or at least those making the
decision.

--
Peace. ~G

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:17:27 -0500, Kevin Snively
The protection would (or should) be NTFS (as I mentioned). This would
require a password to access the system or even the hardrive by itself put
into another machine (now we wont even go into the fact that it would
blue-screen to Hades unless it was totally compatible with the original
computer). This is where I was saying (by inference) the two together were