Security Basics mailing list archives

REMOTE sql Server Access

From: Bénoni MARTIN <Benoni.MARTIN () libertis ga>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:20:28 +0100

Hi list !

I am stuck with a simple remote SQL Server 2000 access. Here is the trouble:
        - Box A is a simple SQL Server belonging to my network and is run with myDomainName\myNTName.
        - Box B has IIS + ASP and belongs also to my network. IIS runs as well with myDomainName\myNTName. I try to
configure its global.asa to connect to Box A through some ASP pages. But no way, always the same error occurs:
        " DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).] This SQL Server does not exists or your access has been denied. "

I tried with and without a DSN, tried with IP adress / hostname, tried what i could find on the net ...

Without the DSN (seems to be the most recommended), my connection string looks like this:
        Session("ConnectionString") = "Provider=SQLOLEDB; Data Source=111.111111.111,1111,; uid=********: pwd=*********
"

Connecting from Box B to Box A through Enterprise Manager works good ...but through ASP / global.asa, no way !

It has working so good when both SQL & IIS were on the same box, but as it is recommended to have two separatated boxes
for security reasons ... :( :( :(

If someone can point me out where is my mistake ... I will appreciate :)

Thanks in advance !

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html