Security Basics mailing list archives

Corporate Web based email - threats

From: Pavel <hiddenrecipient () email com>
Date: 23 Sep 2004 14:48:37 -0000

Hi all,

The access to corporate web mail services like OWA, iNotes or VPN SSL stuff is becoming increasingly popular. I saw
many posts here about security measures for protecting Web server itself, filtering viruses and encrypting data in
transit. However, few people address a problem of temporary content stored on client PCs and stolen
session/credentials. Given that companies are looking for more mobility, the typical use of webmail services occurs on
public PCs, kiosks and Internet cafés.

1. Temporary content. Some Web based email and VPN SSL clients have features to remove temporary files from the client
PCs. The tests we performed (iNotes and OWA) show that the cleaning is very poor and a lot files and attachements are
still sitting in the IE cache, Temp folder, Acrobat cache, different download managers like Mozilla or Reget/Getrigt
etc. The cleaning is ever worse on any PC that have non standard OS (Linux, Mac etc.) and browsers like Firefox, Opera
and so on.

2. Stolen session. Some vendors recommend to use SecurID tokens or stuff like that to prevent stealing users'
credentials. However, there is still a lot of possibility to penetrate user sessions starting from stolen session IDs
thru a malicious email to different sorts of "parent control" software (keylogger + file/clipboard/web pages sniffer +
screenshots every 15 seconds ...). One never khows what is running on that regular public PC.

I would like to hear from you any ideas on how did you mitigate these risks and what was your reasonong to
allow/disallow the access to your company's webmail.

Thank you in advance

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html