Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Inspecting Code for Security

From: "Luis Hernandez" <luish () microsoft com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:57:35 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: caleb.dods () bell ca [mailto:caleb.dods () bell ca]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 3:56 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com; secprog () securityfocus com
Subject: Inspecting Code for Security

I have a background in programming and code inspection. However our inspections were not targeted at security, instead
they looked for logic errors, over complex code, missing comments, etc.

With security in mind what things other things should I be looking for in a code inspection? I can think of the
following, but I'm sure there are others:

- buffers that could be overflowed
- ensuring all input is validated (checked to ensure it is of the proper
type & format)
- ensuring passwords & other encrypted date is not stored unencrypted in memory
- ensuring strong encryption is used
- ensuring no easter eggs / backdoors are left in the code
- ???

Thanks

--------------------------

I'd give Writing Secure Code a read. It has extensive info about common faults in code & design, and even suggests
better project development methodology.

http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/5957.asp

- Luis

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html