Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Detecting new Windows .jpeg exploit

From: Miles Stevenson <miles () mstevenson org>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:27:35 -0400

<snip>
What I'd like to know is how we can scan a fairly large network for
vulnerable machines.  Microsoft provided a tool to detect if your own
computer needs to be patched, but running this on potentially thousands of
systems isn't really an option.  Is there any way known at this time to
detect if a computer is vulnerable?
</snip>

Unfortunately, the number of applications that rely on these image-handling
libraries make this a pretty tricky one to deal with. My recommendation is to
try and make sure all of your systems have XP SP2 installed first.

From there, you are going to have to identify the other applications and patch
as necessary. This is going to take some time. So pay special attention to
what is coming in through your mail servers, FTP transfers, and HTTP sessions
for the users you are supporting. As controlling end-user surfing habits is
not feasible for most sites, HTTP filtering probably isn't going to be a
valid option. Just keep as much junk out of your mail server as possible. You
may even want to consider switching users from IE to another browser, but
since you can't get rid of IE, I wouldn't trust that. Patch patch patch.

I'd be willing to bet that we are going to see a new worm variant exploiting
this within the next month or two at the latest (we are possibly days away?).
This is just too sweet an injection vector to be ignored by the blackhats.
--
Miles Stevenson
miles () mstevenson org