Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Win NT Permission question ?

From: "David Schenz" <schenz.9 () dps ohio-state edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:03:31 -0400

Nope.... let's evaluate closely....

I'm going to assume 1) Share level permissions are set to Everyone: FC
and are therefore only messing with NTFS permissions (which is a much
simpler method of working with permissions and is the way recommended by
Microsoft) 2) All users are regular domain users, not admins 3) detail,
data, and info folders are not inheriting permissions, otherwise user1,
user2, and user3 would have full control to detail, data, and info.
4) The files in each folder have the same permissions as the folder it
is in (i.e. the files are inheriting the permissions from the folder)

C:\

-----detail\ (user1: FC; user2: FC; user3: FC)

        --------data\ (user1: None; user2: FC; user3: FC)

                    --------info\ (user1: None; user2: None; User3: FC)

Remember... every object has an individual ACL, if there is no
inheritance, no other ACL should matter most of the time.

If user1 tried to delete the detail folder, he would be able to delete
all the files in the detail folder, but not the data or info folder (and
therefore not the detail folder since he'd get a "Folder is not empty"
message). If user2 tried to delete the detail folder, he would be able
to delete all of the files in the detail and data, but not the info
folder. If user3 tried to delete the detail folder, he would be
successful.

User1 cannot access the data folder and could not delete it. If user2
tried to delete the data folder, he would be able to delete all the
files in the folder, but not the info folder (and therefore not the data
folder since he'd get a "Folder is not empty" message). If user3 tried
to delete the data folder, he'd be successful.

The assumption that inheritance is turned off for each of the folders
here is very important. Otherwise all of this flies out the window and
user1,2,3 have full control to all three folders. I also emphasize
giving everyone Full control for share level permissions otherwise the
permissions get _very_ hairy.

Good luck
David