Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password Cracking; Re:

From: Simon Zuckerbraun <szucker () sst-pr-1 com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:23:08 -0500

LC and John are password cracking tools.

What is a password cracking tool?

Rather amazingly, computers don't store passwords*. When you set a password, the computer uses the letters of the password to calculate a large number called a "hash". The computer then stores the hash and discards the actual password. Later on, when you enter your password to gain access, the computer calculates the hash again from the password you enter. If it matches the hash that was stored, the computer lets you in.

The purpose of this scheme is to make things tougher for any attacker who tries to steal your password by examining your hard drive. He won't find any password there, only a hash.

A password cracking tool is an automatic program that takes a hash and tries to figure out what the password is. This can be quite a difficult operation. It does this by automatically guessing very large numbers of possible passwords.

Simon

* Assuming proper security design :-)