Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux shutdown

From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec () Virtual Linux-Consulting com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:33:55 -0700 (PDT)

hi ya

Hi peolple
Do you know how to do a Linux (clear) shutdown without root privileges
from login screen?
I want to give a user the privilege of shutdown the server without being
root.  I have heared about umount problems of the file system.

if they are in kde/gnom ... and you didnt change anything, they can
shutdown like they would a windoze box kde(start)->logout->shutdown

if they like console .... ctl-alt-F1  than ctl-alt-del

if you like to work harder .. setup up with sudo for running either
        halt, shutdown or reboot or init 6 or gazillion other possibilities

c ya
alvin