Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: switch console or ip ?

From: Chris Moody <cmoody () qualcomm com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:58:39 -0700 (PDT)

Which indicates that you only have half of an "out of band" management
network built.  At one ISP I worked for in years past, we had separate
term servers at each remote location...specificly for the management of
the devices.  Absolutely -0- of our mgmt traffic traversed the production
links.

the network team LOVED each other (poking fun... ;o) ...)

Anyway, if you shop around for a good terminal server solution, you can
keep your devices transparent to the production traffic...manage them via
a completely separate network...and even build it to allow dial-in backup
connections should your mgmt net fail for any reason.

I never had to drive from Denver to NYC to recover a device either.

Just my experience.

Cheers,
-Chris