Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IT Security organizational structure

From: tony tony <tonytorri () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:21:09 -0700 (PDT)

Jason,

The model that works the best (based upon my experience working for several
companies) is a centralized IT Security function that reports to the highest
person in the IT function (VP of Information Services, CIO, etc).

--- Jason Chung-Tung <jason.chung-tung () rogers com> wrote:

Hi everyone -

I am interested to know how large enterprises are approaching security in
their organizational structure. I have seen several models so far. One model
consists of having a centralized group (IT Security group) which owns its
own technical resources (i.e. network, systems, servers, application,
physical, human resources, etc.). These resources have the dedicated
responsibility to develop policies, standards, guidelines and procedures, as
well as, define architectural designs.  However, it is not always practical
is large organizations, as the resources may be under-utilized.

On the other hand, I have also seen organization charts which distribute the
security function across all departmental domains. For example, the Network
Engineering and Planning dept would have dedicated resources to look after
policies, standards, guidelines and procedures, as well as, define
architectural designs. The IT operations group would have dedicated
resources to provide the following functions: implementation, management,
monitoring, and maintenance.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can find a detailed
analysis of the pros and cons of doing business in each way? Is there any
study done by research organizations (like Gartner Group) on this subject?
How is it handled in your organization?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Jason.

=====