Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tutorial on writing to Registery

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:31:18 +0200

On 2004-10-10 Louie wrote:
I was wondering does anyone in here know where I could find out how to
run a batch file to write to the registry?

I'm asking because for security issues that we have to upgrade for a
couple of machines. I just want the batch file to run rather then
going manual into the registry.

You have several options:

- Write a .reg-file with the settings you want to apply and import it
  into the registry by running "regedit /s my_settings.reg". Use
  "value"=- and [-KEY\NAME] to delete values and/or keys.
- Edit the registry directly with reg.exe (MS' command-line registry
  editor). On Windows 2000 you will have to install the Support Tools
  from the Windows CD for this.
- Edit the registry directly with a VB-script (see Windows Script
  documentation [1] for details).

HTH

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."