Security Basics mailing list archives

Firewall Implementation Strategy ?

From: Vijay Kumar <vijay () calsoftinc com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:52:31 +0530

Hello,

Currently we are havig a software firewall and the DMZ is in another Private Subnet.
We use Port Forwarding from the software firewall to access the DMZ servers from outside.

I have seen other implementations of Firewall where the DMZ is in a seperate subnet with Public IP Address.
From the Firewall we allow only access to certain ports.

Can someone tell me the Pros and Cons of each of this implementation ?

I need to know the different types of firewall implementation so that I can redesign the new implementation.
Where can I get some good guidelines for the same ?

Regards,
Vijay.