Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Restrict user to install any application with registry

From: Adam Jones <ajones1 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:36:38 -0500

If I am understanding what you are asking for correctly the easiest
way to keep users from installing items into the registry is to ensure
that they are not members of the Administrators group. (or possibly
some of the other groups with near-administrator priviliges like
backup operators). AFAIK Power users and users groups are not able to
modify the registry, or manually access values from it via a program
like regedit.

Ensuring that your users are not part of the administrators group
should keep them from installing programs. If you want them to be able
to install some programs that are approved by you, look into creating
MSI files. You should be able to find some good links on google,
especially www.google.com/microsoft.

-Adam

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:53:12 +0700, bagus.laksono () indofood co id