Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: TCP/IP CRC question

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:43:42 +0200

On 2004-10-06 Jorge Mendez Bonini wrote:
I've been reading about the TCP/IP protocol stack (TCP/Ilustrated Vol1
by Richard Stevens) lately and since Ethernet is quite common nowadays
almost all link layer examples refer to it (I also checked Douglas Comer
  Internetworking with TCP/IP vol1).
I tried searching RFC but found it very time consuming without good
results (maybe I'm not used to it...yet)

The Ethernet Frame contains a field known as FCS which contains a CRC.
Now, my question is:
If the CRC is generated from DATA field among others, What's the point
of using checksums on the upper protocolos (IP checksums etc..)?

Not sure if I understand your question correctly. The FCS is a checksum
on the entire Ethernet frame. Its purpose is to detect transmission
failures on the link-layer (and discard erroneous frames so they don't
have to be processed by upper layers).

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."