Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fake AP in the Vendor field of Netstumbler

From: "Ghaith Nasrawi" <libero () aucegypt edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:25:40 +0000

I'm not 100% sure why you saw that, but I saw them on different context.
I work for a networking manufacturer and I used to see that "fake" when
we were building pre-production APs with fake MAC addresses for testing
purpose.

So I'd assume somebody might have changed the MAC addresses of those APs
to unknown Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI).

check this

http://standards.ieee.org/faqs/OUI.html

cheers,

g.