Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: DOS Attack?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:28:13 -0800

1.  If you have "established" in your ACL, it will allow in any TCP
packet that doesn't just have the SYN flag set.  I've seen nasty
traffic send only RST packets to get the traffic past an ACL...

2.  DoS attacks often rely on resource starvation, and the easiest
resource to consume is bandwidth.  If I were to send you more traffic
than your pipe could carry, packets would have to be lost -- even if
you were dropping all of my traffic when it reached your ACL.  And
if packets are being dropped at the upstream end of your pipe, there
can be good odds that legitimate connections originating from your
network never receive their answers....

David Gillett