Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: which security hotfixs to implemet ?

From: Caeser Augustus <caeser.augustus () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:03:34 +0530

The only way that I think is not going to even copy any WMP files to
installation is if I expressly specify that in the answer file.
However, looking at the wmpocm.inf file (the installer information)
here's what I find:
---------------------------------------
[HideWMP]
Commandline=%11%\setup\wmpocm.exe /HideWMP
TickCount=500

[WMPOCM_Uninstall]
DelFiles=DelNone
Run=HideWMP
Rings a bell huh?
Looks like it will just hide the player but not delete anything.

Even if I think of modifying the installation source and installing, I
think I may end up with crippled Mutimedia subsystem. The security
update on the website for WMP is for scripting problems. I dunno but
if someone were to uninstall [hide ;)] the WMP and tried opening an
MP3, would it open? If it does then that update is necessay, if it
does not ........... well I think I will anyways suggest updating it.
Just in case.

But back to the original question, yes I think Juan would wanna update
the hotfix. Even thoug no user is expected to run it over there, I can
see it most likely that a multimedia enabled page on the webserver may
invoke the WMP scripting routines.

Waiting for comments..

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:48:12 +0530, Prasanna M