Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: This time, how secure is Citrix?

From: "Nick Owen" <nickowen () mindspring com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:37:45 -0500

Perhaps you can solve both your issues with an SSL-based VPN.  Netilla
has a paper on securing Citrix with their SSL-based VPN here:
http://www.netilla.com/downloads/WP_netilla_Citrix_Vn.pdf. I mention it
only because I have seen it, not that I have even used their product.  I
assume that many of the SSL-vpn vendors would have similar capabilities.
This should limit the exposure you have in the Citrix platform.  They
claim to re-write the Citrix download-able applet into a browser app,
which would certainly be easier on the end-user.  Perhaps their paper
will give you some other ideas.  If so, I'd like to hear them.

As with all 'client-less' VPN systems, strong authentication is
warranted.  There are too many keyloggers and too much client-side
caching to allow this kind of access with just static passwords.  All
those little PIA configuration requirements for Ipsec VPNs and dialers
at least created hassles for attackers.  People are starting to realize
that just a username and password between your network and the Internet
is an increasingly risky prospect.

Nick Owen

--
Nick Owen